Wednesday 27 August 2014

Thanks for improving my life Orcon

I received an unsolicited message from Orcon yesterday. They cheerfully announced that due to demand (not from me) they had auto-enabled Global Mode so that I could surf the web uninhibited by the fact that I am a foreign person and live in an inferior country (or so Cards for Humanity would have me believe.)

No more would I need to use Borat-proxy (my all-time favourite) to surf into places I probably shouldn't go while pretending to the gullible computers on the other end that I was Big American Person.

No more tunnel-bear (my second favourite and far more useful) to dig deep into the core of the computer network and pretend that I'm from the UK or US or Canada or half a dozen others (including My Closest Tunnel which turns out to be Japan - well done Japan).

No more.

Now I'm a real citizen of the web and I can go anywhere and do anything and sign up and pay for everything I want (as long as I'm morally okay about fibbing about my home address and making up a phone number.)

So I try to create an account on Netflix - and discover that this would be easier if I could actually get onto their site. Never mind. Can't be bothered to be available when I want you - there are other options out there you know. Hello hulu.com! Or rather, hello 'Problem loading page'.com. Well, maybe crackle? Maybe not. BBC.co.uk? Nope.

So, citizen of the world? Or perhaps PERSON WHO CAN NO LONGER ACCESS SITES THAT SHE USED TO BE ABLE TO!!!

Nice one Orcon. You scored another slum-dunk.

Ahhhhh Borat. So good to see you again.

Send to Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment