Thursday 6 November 2014

Expired food

Our office held an expired food party today. Yeah we're cheap, what's it to ya?

I happily poured out some Coke Zero safe in the knowledge that nothing can ever make Coke taste bad. I've seen You-tube videos where it melts coins. Time isn't any match to that power.

It turns out that my knowledge was belief, and faulty at that. It was flat. I can handle that - sometimes I even prefer it. It wasn't sweet. Say what?

Yeah, you heard me right. The Coke Zero wasn't sweet any longer. The vast array of chemical symbols that adorn the fine print of the ingredient list have no staying power. A mere year after the best before date and it was almost undrinkable. I could only manage three glasses. Ugh.

The chips fared a lot better. I thought at first the Doritos had gone off as well, but it turned out they were Salsa flavoured and were meant to taste like that. Why would anyone buy Salsa when they could buy cheese? I didn't even know you could buy a flavour of Dorito that didn't include cheese. Maybe they were a limited edition?

I only realised when I reached home that I'd forgotten my cans of cream. Again. They only expired in July and September respectively so I'm confident that they're still good to go. I sprayed a couple of handfuls into my mouth the other day and I haven't died so I'm backing myself here.

There is a weird sense of urgency to consume it as soon as possible. But I hope it can last the weekend. It's made it this far.

Send to Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment