Wednesday 25 March 2015

Meetings

I remember a time, long ago now, when a meeting was something you held when you wanted to get something done.

There was a problem that needed to be fixed? Hold a meeting.

There was a decision that needed to be made? Hold a meeting.

There was a new staff member you wanted to tear to shreds behind his back? Have a girl's night out.

The remnants from this time live on in my memory, and whenever I'm invited to a meeting (or just when I see one naturally forming) I feel a little frisson of excitement that something effective is about to happen.

Rest assured, it's not.

Nowadays the meetings being held tend to involve looking at a problem from all sides before disbanding with a promise to get together again later to consider it further. And don't worry, if perchance we make a decision, we can always meet again to backtrack out of it without any cause for concern that events may progress in the meantime.

I had four meetings on Wednesday. What did I get out of them you ask? A familial acquaintance with a cupboard. No more.

But not to worry, I had another meeting today. I'll have another two tomorrow. I also have a lunch date and I think I'll get more out of that hour than any of the ones taken up in meeting rooms.

Not that I'm entirely complaining. After all, if I wasn't in a meeting room I'd be staring at a Sharepoint site or an Excel spreadsheet.

They can almost make people look good.

1 comment:

  1. There are outstanding meeting rooms available in locations all over the world, to suit a variety of different budgets. Choosing the right meeting room could make the difference between success and failure, so it's well worth carrying out plenty of research to ensure you choose and appropriate place.

    ReplyDelete