Sunday 5 April 2015

Daylight Savings...

is finally over, and I'm pleased to announce that I have my hour back.

Because we're currently on Easter break, I've also lost an hour of daylight because I'm not awake when it's gained in the morning, but I'm well awake when it disappeared early this evening.

To celebrate this occurrence there was also a blood moon last night, which I was glad to see was not visible in Christchurch and therefore didn't require me to try and fail to stay awake to see. A glorious thing by all accounts by people who were located on the West Coast, and had access to a telescope.

Apparently the next month is the most dangerous time for folks medically speaking. The hour the clocks were put forward back in September may have averted a few dozen heart attacks, but that bill is about to come due.

I do wonder if all the deaths we'll see over the next month or so due to circadian disruption - not that it'll be the reason going on their death certificate - would be saved if one year we just went on daylight savings, and then never went off it.

Sure, the very nature of time itself would become a joke a few years down the track, but in the age of the internet I'm sure it doesn't matter too much that offices open during daylight hours and close during the dark. Teenagers would hate it, but since that's their raison d'ĂȘtre it may even please them in some backhanded way.

Alternatively, it's possible that I've been the victim of two-sided propaganda and no one is affected too much one way or the other. As the least exciting explanation it's probably best I left that to the end.

And now, I'm an hour late going to bed so if you'll excuse me...

Send to Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment